Making Meetings Work
Today’s managers and staff spend more and more time in meetings. These can be time wasting, ineffective, and frustrating for all concerned.
The overall aim of this, highly interactive and fun workshop, is to make meetings more constructive and efficient.
- To ensure participants can chair meetings effectively.
- To show participants how to contribute more effectively to meetings.
- To ensure participants understand the importance of planning and preparing meetings, i.e. agenda, minute taking, time frames, who should attend, etc
As a result of attending this workshop, participants will be able to:
- Chair a meeting effectively.
- Actively contribute in meetings without being dominating or overpowering.
- Plan a meeting
- Prepare an agenda
- Control the meeting diplomatically, within the time frames.
- Spend less time in meetings.
- Ensure accurate records of meetings are taken and circulated to attendees.
The course looks at the role of the Chairperson and the role of the participants in different meetings, which include:
- Formal meetings
- Ad hoc meetings
- Problem-solving meetings.
and expands on:
- Purpose of meetings
- Preparation, strategy and tactics.
- Planning the agenda.
- Control and handling the meeting
- Taking minutes.
The benefits gained from this course are:
- Less time spent at meetings.
- Meaningful agendas.
- Better chairing of meetings.
- Greater participation from attendees.
- Speedier and accurate minutes.
The program focuses on group discussion, case studies, and practice meetings, some of which are related to participants’ work activities. Each person will have ample opportunity to chair a meeting, observe him or herself on video, and to experiment and experience the skills being taught.
Training tools such as Edward De Bono’s “Six Thinking Hats” and Tony Buzan’s ‘Mind Mapping” are learnt to assist with handling emotion during meetings, problem solving, brainstorming, planning and preparation.
A training video will be shown to reinforce the lessons learnt.
Making Meetings Work
"Humorous but well drilled -- Most useful skills were:
- Preparation and Planning of Meetings
- How to chair and control a formal meeting
- Cutting down the length
“Good – Both fun and interesting – ideas from the course:
- Brain Storming and planning Agenda through Mind Mapping
- Transactional Analysis - PAC
- Role of Chairperson
- Practicing through role plays and exercises.”
“Enjoyed greatly – flowed well to lead to learning outcomes.”
- Agenda’s are required even for Ad Hoc meetings
- Problem solving formula
- Processes to define a problem
- Mind Mapping
- Using De Bono’s - Six Thinking Hats
- Managing different personalities
- Avoid Red Herring’s – stay on Track.”
“Very energetic and lively – good for this type of course.
- Be in charge of meetings, and follow the formula as Chairperson
- Ignore latecomers – let them catch up
- Mind Mapping for planning and preparation of Agenda
- How to handle rudeness and other difficulties
- Draw out the quiet ones, using the 3 P’s and open questions
- Problem solving techniques
- Set objectives, priorities and assign tasks.”
Chatfeild-Clarke Consulting 61 8 6262 3940 www.paulchat.com